Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Twenty Thousand Roads Chapter Four: Undeniable Chemistry


Hades/Kavanagh Residence
Present Day

Branna

Ciaran and Finn were a little taken aback when they got to our place.  “Damn, nice digs you guys got here,” Finn said with a low whistle, running to the windows to take in the view of the city lights.

It was a little embarrassing, but pretty much all Ricky’s doing.  Sean and I could never have afforded a place like this ourselves.  Ricky, however inherited an obscenely large amount of money from his grandparents when they died, and he insisted on getting this penthouse and having us rent from him, very cheaply I might add.  Sean and I insisted on splitting the utilities though, we never wanted Ricky to think we were taking advantage of  his generosity.  He told us it was the least he could do after our family had taken him in after his father kicked him out.


While Ricky and Finn ran around the music area like a couple of little kids, Ricky showing Finn our guitars and Ethan’s drum kit, I busied myself making everyone coffee.


Ciaran stood at the bookcase, looking over the titles. Every so often I would catch him give me a sideways glance as I battled with Ricky’s high-tech coffee maker that practically needed an engineering degree to operate.  “You need some help there, Branna?” he asked in his hot accent.

“Nah, I think I have it,” I told him, as the machine kicked to life with a puff of steam, finally brewing like it was supposed to.  I breathed a sigh of relief and went to grab some mugs.




“So are these your Mary O’Hagan books, Branna?” he inquired.


“Yep.”


His smile widened. “So you’re a fan of the lady from Galway too, huh?”


I hesitated, but decided to just tell him. “Well, I kind of have to be, she’s my grandmother.”

His jaw dropped open. “Mary O’Hagan is your GRANDMOTHER?” he asked incredulously. 

I nodded, noticing the coffee was ready to serve. I hoped he didn’t fangirl too much or worse, ask what she was doing now.  The last thing I wanted to think about was my once brilliant, articulate and eloquent grandmother sitting home clutching a Raggedy Ann doll, her mind wasting away long before her body.


I flipped a lever and watched as the steaming cappuccino poured out into the cups.  Ciaran watched me as I did. I saw Ricky look over from his conversation with Finn, a slight look of concern on his face. He knew my sensitivity on the topic better than anyone else.


“She’s one of my favorite writers, Branna. If I’m ever homesick I always pick up one of her books.” I smiled at him, holding the tray of mugs. “That would make her happy to know.  She’s retired now,” I added, hoping that would stave off any further inquiries.  Thankfully, it did.  He came over and gently took a couple of the mugs off the tray and brought them over to the counter.
Ciaran


I got the feeling something was up. When she mentioned Mary O’Hagan was her grandmother, I saw her stiffen, almost as if she was preparing her body to take a blow of some kind.  I decided to let it go. Whatever it was, I could only hope she’d talk about it when she was ready.


I was still shocked from the knowledge that her grandmother was a famous writer, one I admired. In Ireland, Galway especially, she has a big following.  She wrote mostly dramatic and romance, always set in Galway. Her words always transported me home in my moments of loneliness, so she’s always had a special place in my heart, even though she wouldn’t know me from Adam.

Mary O’Hagan always had a somewhat reclusive persona, not quite like JD Salinger, but close. Indeed, I had no idea she even lived in Bridgeport.

Branna took a seat on the sofa and gestured for me to sit next to her.  She smelled amazing, like orange blossoms with a tiny bit of vanilla.  I wanted to sit closer to just take that scent in even more.


Get a hold of yourself, man. You just met her barely two hours ago...


Still, I couldn’t help but think she was special, that she was going to be like any other woman I’d ever met before.  Her beauty was obviously the first thing that hit me, naturally, but then I saw her spirit, her protective nature, her willingness to go to the mat for a friend. When I held her outside the bar and looked into her eyes I realized I had to know her.

I’m a vampire. I’m 111 years old, for fuck’s sake. For me to be feeling this now, well, yeah, she has to be special.


“So, what do you do, Ciaran?” she asked me, leaning back against the sofa cushions.  She rested her head on the back of the sofa and smiled at me again.


“I’m a history teacher at Bridgeport Academy.”


“Ah, the ritzy school,” she observed.  Bridgeport Academy is a private institution, catering to the wealthy and famous families of the city.  Although some of the kids are as obnoxious and entitled as you might expect, it was overall a great school to teach in. The equipment was state of the art, the curriculum progressive, and the administration paid attention to the needs of faculty and staff.


“They don’t mind your hair?” she teased.


“Nah. They’re surprisingly laid back about that kind of thing.”


“Ricky’s parents wanted him to go there but he went to the public high school. Good thing too, or I wouldn’t have met him otherwise. I think his sister goes there though. Rick, Tasha goes to the Academy, right?”


Ricky looked up from where he was showing Finn a bass guitar. “Yeah, she’s a sophomore.”


“Tasha Hades? Hair like yours?”


“That’s the one.”


“Taught her last year. Good kid, just talked a little too much. Had to take her phone away once because she wouldn’t stop texting.”


Ricky shook his head and came over to sit on one of the easy chairs. “I’m not surprised. She’s sweet, but my parents have always spoiled her.”
Finn joined us then, sitting next to Ricky. “So Branna, you get into barroom brawls a lot?” She and Ricky looked at one another. “Not a lot. But you know, sometimes a smart ass needs to be put in their place. But yeah, every so often it can get pretty wild.”
Ricky took over then. “Remember when you put that guy’s head through a jukebox?”


“Oh yeah, good times, good times.”


Finn and I sat there open-mouthed, not sure how to react.


“Guys,” Ricky said, “We’re fucking with you. That never happened.”


“Although it would have been pretty awesome if it had.” Branna mused.

They laughed uproariously then, encouraging us to join them.  It was cool to be around them, to see two friends so tightly bonded. Finn and I were close friends as well, but I don’t know if we shared the seemingly symbiotic relationship Branna and Ricky shared. It seemed like they read each others minds.


The conversation flowed between all four of us, but gradually it seemed Branna and I were just talking to each other.


Branna

He was incredibly easy to talk to. We had similar tastes in movies, music, and books.  He asked me about my work at the theater and seemed like he was really interested in it.  His sense of humor was sly, and he had a sexy smile.  His lips were a perfect shape and I wondered if he was a good kisser.  Probably so.

I mentally shook myself. I'd just met him a couple hours before and I was already thinking about kissing him? Cool the hormones, girl. You aren't 15 anymore. 

"So, I never would have guessed you were a teacher."  He leaned back against the sofa and grinned, as if it were something he were used to hearing.

"And what did you have me pegged for, Miss Branna?"

"I don't know...tattoo artist, paid mercenary, something like that."

He let out a huge laugh at that. Then the tip of his tongue touched his lips, a move that sent an unexpected jolt between my legs.  Oh man.

"I'd say there's nothing wrong with not always being what people expected, don't you think?" he said, fixing me with his glowing hazel eyes.     

"What would you expect from me, Ciaran?" I couldn't believe the flirtatious tone that was coming out of my mouth. I was never like this with a guy I just met. 

He reached over and brushed a strand of hair out of my face. "I don't know exactly what to expect from you, but I do believe I like it that way."

Another jolt. Holy hell I was going to need some electronic assistance when they went home. Best birthday gift Ricky ever gave me.


Speaking of, the two of them were sitting rather stiffly, watching us as if they had become the second and third wheel on our unofficial date.

Ricky finally slapped his hands on his thighs and stood up. "Wanna jam, Finn?" he asked.

"Oh fuck yeah. I've been wanting to get my hands on that Les Paul all night."

They got up and went over to the music setup. I gathered up the coffee cups and went over to the dishwasher.  

Ciaran followed and stood in front of me, blocking my path to the dishwasher.

"Listen, I know we just met and I could be completely misreading everything that's been going on but I feel like maybe there's some chemistry here."

I could feel my cheeks starting to pink up.  "You aren't misreading anything."

"I want to see you again, Branna. Just us."  He looked over at the clock on the microwave and saw that it read 3:30am.    "How about tonight, then? Can we go out tonight?"

I knew that some considered it proper to not be too available when a guy asked, that it was good form to maintain some mystery and make him work for it. 

Fuck that.

"Yeah, I'd really like that, Ciaran."

He smiled so wide I thought his face might crack. "Fantastic. I can come by about 7:30. Would that be alright?" 

I nodded. "Absolutely. I'm looking forward to it."

He reached over and brushed my hand against his. "Me too."

At that point Ricky called me from across the room. "Flaky, come jam with us!" I looked at Ciaran and he nodded. "Go ahead, I'd love to hear you play."

Ciaran

She said yes.   I could feel butterflies beginning to kick up in my stomach, something I hadn't felt in years.  It had been so long since I'd actually taken a woman out that I was racking my brain to remember what people actually DID on dates.  Dinner, definitely. That was a no-brainer.  Movies? No, can't talk. Drinks? Maybe. I wouldn't want her to think I was trying to get her drunk...

My frantic thought process was interrupted by the unmistakable strains of the Rolling Stones' "Brown Sugar." Finn was a huge Stones fan, so I'm not surprised he proposed that one.

 My eyes were immediately drawn to Branna. Her eyes were closed as she played and she had this look of incredible bliss on her face. Her fingers moved along the strings with incredible skill, but she made it seem so incredibly easy. As much as I tried, I couldn't stop staring. I was completely gobsmacked.



I felt myself moving closer to her. I wasn't going to do anything really, I just wanted to be nearer to her. Her energy was drawing me in and making me want to just sit at her feet and absorb as much of it as my body would let me. 


At the moment I got in front of her, her eyes opened and she grinned widely at me, holding up her guitar and finishing off the song with a flourish.

"Alright guys, I hate to say it, but I think you've done me in tonight. I'm exhausted." She took the guitar off and put it back on its stand. "Sorry."

"No, it's fine, Finn and I should get going and let the two of you get some sleep." Finn clutched the guitar to him. "Don't make me leave it, man." 

"Come on, wanker. I'm sure they'll let you come visit it if you're good." Finn sighed and put the guitar lovingly back on its stand, turning to give it a wistful look. Ricky laughed and gave Finn one of his business cards. "Call anytime you want to hang with us." 

Branna walked us to the door. While Finn went outside and pressed the down button for the elevator, I hung back for a moment.  "I'm looking forward to tonight, Branna."

"I am too. 7:30?"

"Yeah."

Before I could stop myself,  I leaned over and gently, softly kissed her on the lips. "Sweet Dreams, Branna." I said before exiting the front door and following Finn into the elevator.
Branna

That night, I was in my room, brushing my hair when Ricky opened the door and flopped down on the bed. He looked me up and down. "Please tell me that for the love of all things holy, that is NOT what you're wearing tonight." 

I looked down at my clothing. "Well, I was going to change my top..."
Ricky shook his head and clucked impatiently. "Flaky, this guy is pretty goddamned hot, and he's clearly into you. And considering the buzzing noise I heard coming from here last night, you're obviously into him."  

"Ricky!"
  
"All I'm going to say is that a pillow muffles noises wonderfully. Now, answer my question: are you into him?"

"Well, yeah." 

"Okay then. So femme it up a little tonight."

"Oh come on..."

"I don't mean wear a fucking ballgown. I just mean show off a little of what makes you a hot woman." He bustled over to my armoire and flipped through the hangers. "Here wear this, with heels. Trust me." He tossed the dress on the bed, kissed my cheek and left the room. 

A half-hour later, I was putting on some lip gloss when I heard the doorbell buzz.
Ciaran

The butterflies had come back full force by the time I got back in their apartment and shook Ricky's hand. I had been on edge ever since I woke up. Even Finn remarked on it before he went to his job as a sous chef.  "I don't think you need to be so jumpy, mate. She seems like someone who's easy to know, right?"  

He was right, but I was nervous because I felt like she could be more than a friend. I wanted her to feel the same way I did. 

"Branna will be out in a minute." He then ran an hand over his hair a little nervously. "She'll probably kill me for this, but I wanted to give you a little heads-up on something."

I felt a stab of apprehension. "What's that?"

"Mary...her grandmother...I heard you gushing about her last night and I just wanted to give you a forewarning...Mary has Alzheimer's, and...she's not really with it anymore. It's why she doesn't write anymore. I just thought you should know."

So that explained why Branna got so rigid when we were talking about her grandmother.  It was upsetting to hear, but I was glad he told me. Now I knew where to tread lightly.  "Thanks for letting me know."

He shrugged. "Don't mention it. It's just something she's had a hard time with." He smiled sadly. "Me too. Mary is like another grandmother to me as well." 


Footsteps came down the hall at that point, and then she was standing in the doorway.  I had to try to keep my mouth from gaping open like a dying fish.

It was a simple enough black sundress with purple trim, but on her it was stunning. It hugged her body in all the right places and showed off her toned shoulders and arms and long legs.

She saw me staring at her and seemed almost surprised. "What?" she said.

Finally remembering how to use my legs, I walked over and took her hand in mine. "You look incredibly beautiful, Branna."  A touch of pink crept into her cheeks. "Thanks, you don't do too badly yourself."
"I don't compare to you, not by a long shot. Shall we go? We have a reservation for 8." I turned to Ricky. "Thanks, mate. Good to see you again." He nodded. "Have a good time tonight."

I turned back to Branna and placed my hand on the small of her back and led her out of the apartment. 

Ricky watched us go, a wide grin on his face.   


17 comments:

  1. Awww first dates are so cute. =D Ciaran is gorgeous too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't he though? Klauseconfessions on Tumblr makes gorgeous men! Thank you so much for reading!

      Delete
  2. I loved this, love it! Not because of Ricky but because you have the story talent in you sweetie ♥
    I loved the conversations , I loved the little details taht made this so intense and real, like Branna's struggle with coffee machine and the buzzing sound comment.
    And Ciaran, uh what a hottie hundred years old he is and hope he and Branna have a good date.
    I like how you pictured Flaky's and Ricky's relationship, they really are best friends.
    Thank you, this definitely made my morning ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy you're enjoying it! I try to make conversation sound natural when I write, and I think about how I interact with people in my own life.

      Ciaran is beautiful, isn't he? I don't blame Branna for being flustered. God knows I would be too!

      Thank you so much for reading!

      Delete
  3. I knew that some considered it proper to not be too available when a guy asked, that it was good form to maintain some mystery and make him work for it.

    Fuck that.

    and

    And considering the buzzing noise I heard coming from here last night, you're obviously into him.

    Made me burst into laughter! Haha I couldn't agree more with Branna's statement. You don't wait when they're hot. Some other bird could fly in and swoop them away real easily! And then Ricky and his "observation" LOL! They need better sound proofing or she needs to use a pillow like he said. I can only imagine the number of times he's heard that!

    This was a very fun read though. Everyone seems to get along so well and it made this cheesy grin stay on my face the whole way through. I think Ricky and Finn are a fun pair and they could be the best of friends, both have a playful and humorous attitude.

    I hope Branna and Ciaran enjoy their date! I was going to say that she had no idea where Ciaran was taking her so Ricky suggesting a dress might have been inappropriate but it worked out in her favor rather nicely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I always hated that Cosmopolitan magazine "advice"! If he's into you, you're into him, why on earth would you play a game?

      Yes, Ricky loves to tease her about that. But hey, if you want to jump a guy's bones right away but can't, you have to let the frustration out somehow, amirite?

      I'm glad you've been enjoying it though. I'm trying to keep it a mix of serious and fun.

      Trust me, the date will be memorable!

      Delete
  4. LOL that was fun. 111 yr old vamp getting butterflies. Cute.

    Electronic assistance hahahahahaha that was funny but totally understandable.

    It's nice that they have a connection already, hopefully that means good things. Man when he kissed her I am surprised she didn't jump him then. I don't think he would have minded. :P I know it wasn't a big kiss but considering her thoughts, it wouldn't take much.

    Sad news about her grandmother, I'm glad Ricky gave him the heads up. That was a good thing to do so that the touchy subject could be avoided.

    Can't wait to see what happens on the date.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it! I wanted there to be a sort of instant spark, but there will be some restraint moving forward, since neither of them want the other one to think they are moving too fast. Should make for some good, albeit frustrating, times.

      Yes, what's happening to Mary is sad, and since she has lived with Branna all and her family for Branna's whole life, it's hard for her to deal with, which is why she doesn't always come around to her parents' house like she probably should. That's something Ciaran will help her with.

      Thank you for reading, Mica!

      Delete
  5. Electronic assistance?! lol that almost made me spit out my coffee. And figures Ricky would be the gifter. *snort* Too funny. So I figured Ciaran was a vamp, he has the look. Like Branna, teacher is the last occupation I would've expected from him, but then again, he's so....decent, it's fitting. It's a little sad though, because how else can human-vampire relationships work unless the human is turned?

    Ciaran is just adorable. I loved how he was running through the mental checklist of date activities, and why he marked some off the list. And somehow the kiss goodnight on the very same night they first met seemed right. And bodes well for the date to come :P If you don't mind me asking, which kiss poses were those? They'd be perfect for an upcoming
    scene in my story!

    Definitely looking forward to the next chapter to see how this date goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I remember correctly, the kiss pose is from the lovely mypalsim! Hmmm, would that kiss be between a certain Dustin and a certain Ayala, HMMMMMMMMMMMM?

      Yes, Ricky likes to give Branna naughty gifts. That's just him.

      It's funny I weighed in my head a bunch of different occupations for Ciaran and teacher was the one that kept coming back to me. And who better to teach history than a 111 year old vampire?

      They will have a memorable date, I think. I hope you all think so too.

      Thank you so much for reading, Misty!

      Delete
    2. Mayyyybe :P I have most of her poses downloaded, I'll poke through 'em, thank you.

      LOL I can totally see Ricky giving her that though, that's what makes it even funnier. So does Branna know what Ciaran is? Different story tellers handle the supernatural in different ways, so I'm curious. I guess I'll just hafta keep reading =)

      Delete
  6. "I knew that some considered it proper to not be too available when a guy asked, that it was good form to maintain some mystery and make him work for it.

    Fuck that."

    Bahaha! Love it! No need for games if you know that the guy is into you. And with someone like Ciaran, fuck yeah! lol I'm with Branna on that one. And he's a history teacher too?? Eeep! I bet he gets a lot of googly-eyes in class. :P

    "And considering the buzzing noise I heard coming from here last night, you're obviously into him."

    LOL! Gotta love Ricky. Good thing she took care of business before the date because she might end up jumping Ciaran before the main course. It's great to see the gang getting a long so well. Finn and Ciaran seem like stand-up guys. Although I'm curious if Finn is straight or gay, considering how quickly he hit it off with Ricky.

    So Ciaran is a 111 year old vampire? Hmm..interesting. I love the early stages of romance, when the chemistry builds but there's still that uncertainty and the anticipation of what's to come. You've done a great job at portraying the tension between them, and I'm excited to see how their date will go. :)

    This was a fun chapter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I say BOO to games! If he asks you out, he's interested, no second guessing needed. Besides, when they're hot like that, yeah, you accept right then and there, eh? I figured you'd appreciate the teacher angle!

      Finn likes the ladies, but like Ciaran he's old enough and has seen enough to be a relatively open, accepting person, although he tends to be more of a player than Ciaran. Chicks dig the nerd glasses! And he and Ricky ended up having a lot in common so yeah, there will be more of Finn, trust me!

      I know, I wanted to kind of capture that early giddiness of a new romance. I hope everyone enjoys their first date!

      Thank you for reading, Lyn!

      Delete
  7. These two are getting along just fine it seems. It does seem to be going a little fast between the two but they are both excited to move it forward. I look forward to the date and learning a bit more about Ciaran I feel we don't know too much about him so I wonder if there is a big thing he's hiding as everyone has some kind of baggage! Maybe I as in Aeon is just being suspicious...*shifty eyes*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it does seem to be going fast, but there's going to be a reason for it! However, I promise they won't be getting married next chapter!

      Ciaran does have an interesting past, being the age he is he's obviously seen a lot. There is baggage of course, but nothing menacing, just things that have shaped him to be who he is today.

      For the most part, this is going to be a positive story. Yes, bad things will happen, ups and downs, but dagnabbit, I like a happy ending!

      Thank you so very much for reading, Aeon!

      Delete
  8. My husband, an engineer, makes the coffee at the office where he works. He doesn't drink it, but he makes damn good coffee. It's like God bestowed a coffee-maker gift upon him without giving him the benefit of enjoying its taste.
    Oh, so now Ciaran has the starstruck thing going with her being her grandmother's granddaughter. :)
    I'm scared to death of Alzheimer's. It runs rampant all over my family. My grandfather is on a miracle medicine that may have saved him though! I hope they're onto something. Strange thing is that it's sometimes a case-by-case basis.
    A guy that reads drama and romance? awwwww :)
    Sometimes, I wish I had the strength to do something more than just yell with my temper tantrums. I guess it's a good thing that I don't. My mouth gets me in enough trouble as it is.
    Branna and Ciaran sittin' in a tree...
    No, don't cool the hormones. Jump 'im! :D
    Ooooo!!!! He used that excuse to touch her! (I'm dying here.)
    Electronic assistance?! *dies again* I can't read two sentences without coming back over to this tab to comment on them!
    Yeah yeah.. fuck that. yes.. go for it girl!
    Go on a long, romantic walk through the park at night. Oh, but I forgot ... this is a big city and that might be dangerous. Ah hell, she's a spitfire and he's a vampire. None would touch them!
    EEEEEE!!!!!!! kiss kiss!!!! yay! :D
    buzzing electronic noise? Ricky! Don't mention that!
    She took his breath away. awwww.
    onto the next NOW

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw Ciaran & Branna are so cute together!

    ReplyDelete